Simple Hacks to Celebrate Pet-Friendly Holi

Simple Hacks to Celebrate Pet-Friendly Holi

  Mar 02, 2021   |   1692   |    5 min read

The auspicious festival Holi is celebrated full of fervour and enthusiasm. Holi is probably the only Indian festival that brings together sworn-enemies with its sacred vibe by cleansing your heart of any animosities. Few people may know the significance of the Holi as it is celebrated due to the victory of good over evil. Soon after, the vivid imagery of the beautiful spring season takes over.

The colour of the festival fills our spirit, streets and faces with hues of love, harmony and a rainbow-like colour chart. Jokes apart, if you are a pet-lover or generally harbour affection and care for animals, you might care a dime when you see those coloured dogs during the festival of Holi. This blog is for you to educate about important things to keep in mind if it bothers you. If it doesn't affect you one bit, this blog is penned especially for you to switch on the light of humanity in your heart and wake up to the unconditional loyalty the fury friends shower on human counterparts. If you are planning to go on holidays during this festival, consider dropping them at Another Home's pet boarding in Gurgaon for their ultimate safety and happiness. Coming back to the topic, below are the essential yet simple hacks to celebrate a pet-friendly Holi:


Keep your pups away from colours. Most colours in the market have Lead, Zinc, Chromium, Nickel, Cadmium, Mercury, Silica, Iron and  Asbestos disguised as Brom, if you aren't aware of Sulphites and Oxides. These components lead to irritations, asthma, allergies, cancers and organ failures.

If colours ever got into your mouth, you must be aware of how disgusting they taste. In fact, they even cause skin allergies, rashes and irritation. Even accidentally inhaling them can make you faint. 

Now visualize if your dog follows suit. How detrimental it can be for them. Your furry friend's coat and skin are sensitive. They are likely to inhale and get affected by the toxic colours than we do. 

The symptoms are vomiting, constipation, loss of appetite, diarrhoea, excessive thirst, sneezing and discharge from nostrils. These indicate Holi poisoning. These colours can lead to itching and inflammation when they come into contact with your peepers. They can cause skin problems like abrasions, shedding, patches, sores and cuts.

Dogs, puppies and senior dogs with short coat have great chances of falling prey to these colours because the scanty coating of the body gets affected easily. Species with a short snout can be at a greater risk. Keep the colours safe in the house and out of your canine's reach. The colours you consider safe for you might not be safe for them. Try to use kumkum, beetroot juice, neem, turmeric or henna powder as pet-friendly colours.


Yes, we understand no festival is complete without scrumptious food and desserts. The traditional Gujia rests in the heart of every holi lover. While you are feasting on these delicacies, please don't feed them to your canines. Raisins, Sugar, artificial sweeteners, nuts, and chocolates- even though they are common sweet ingredients-are toxic for fidos. Let them steer clear of sugar-free desserts. A popular sugar-substitute called Xylitol can be lethal for your doggo.


Please keep the moisture and water at bay from your favourite four-legged friend. Protect their skin and coat. The temperature when Holi occurs is suitable for microbial growth. An iota of moisture on your pup's coat can cause fungal or bacterial infection. If the dog has been damp for longer than usual and is exposed to morning breeze or colder evenings, they can catch fever, cold or pneumonia. 

Keep your dogs safe from water balloons thrown by children. It is not only about the water or colour; the heavy balloon can also hit the dog. It is a big menace to them. Keep the dogs in the secure confines of your home and dry during the Holi festival.


The crucial points to keep in mind are educating your children or around the neighbourhood to not create menace for doggies. Instruct them to avoid throwing balloons and colours at pooches.

If you find any animal coloured, try to wash them with running tap water or dust the dry colours.  Never use kerosene, alcohol or turpentine to eliminate colours from your loving pets. Doing so can hurt them. If required, give your pooches a nice clean bath with a mild shampoo to rinse off dust, filth and colours. If you spot any reactions or rashes on the skin, use coconut oil over the affected area. You can consult a vet for better medical assistance. 

If the colours get into the animals' nose or eyes, rinse thoroughly with running water or consult a vet for immediate help if irritation continues. 

If the pet has accidentally ingested or licked the colours, please induce vomit to get the toxic material out of their body. Give your doggo plenty of water to drink and keep a tab for any symptoms of poisoning. Consult a qualified veterinarian if your canines show symptoms of palpitations, hyperactivity: seizures or stroke. 

The final word is to show some compassion and reciprocate their pure selfless affection. Try to go for morning walks with your doggo slightly ahead of festivities, and keep your puppies indoors while the celebrations are going on. Stay alert and if you spot any animal in dire needs, extend a hand of help toward them.